I have a secret to share, Halloween is my least favorite holiday. Celebrating the holidays are my favorite, but Halloween is kind of meh for me. Give me autumn with cooler temperatures, pumpkin everything and lots of apples. Heck even give me candy. But dressing up and going to a haunted house? Pass.
For those of you who love Halloween, I wish I could be one of you. I’m an enthusiastic person about most holidays, so I thought I would share some ideas for getting into the Halloween without the costumes or heavy drinking.
Alternate Ideas for Celebrating Halloween
- Do a pumpkin beer tasting: There are so many seasonal beers out there, especially pumpkin ones! With a tasting, you only have to do a couple of bottles of each beer, instead of doing a 6-pack of each! Look for stores that do build your own six pack, and grab three or more beer to try.
- Have a movie marathon: I love snuggling up with some spiked hot apple cider (try caramel vodka or Jim Beam Apple) and good movies! Anything Harry Potter is a good choice, but so is Hocus Pocus, Casper the Friendly Ghost and scary if that’s what you like.
- Make some Halloween treats: I think that people are so creative at Halloween making edible spiders (made of candy of course) ghosts, different pumpkins and more! It would be fun to spend a night creating yummy treats you can then eat immediately. (#IHaveNoSelfControl)
- Carve pumpkins & roast seeds: It’s never too late for this! We haven’t done this yet and I kind of want too, mainly for the pumpkin seeds. You can create some fun designs that are Thanksgiving themed, maybe with a turkey or leaf to decorate your space with.
- Curl up with a good book: Actually head to a bookstore or library and pick up a book! Try this one or this one. If you don’t have a fireplace, play this video on your laptop, TV or tablet!
What are you doing for Halloween? For those of you who love it, leave your Instagram! I love checking out people’s costumes! If you’re staying in, do the same so we can share our crazy nights! Check out my weekend by following me @ashvickney