Picking a blog name is not easy. My old blog was great.. but didn’t quite describe me anymore. Purple wasn’t a color I like as much, and while I still think pearls are a classic, my style has evolved a bit.
When picking your blog name, I heard don’t do this + that. I had heard to pick something that will grow with you, and that it should focus on your brand. After weeks of discussing it with my fiancé and friends I decided on A Blonde & A Briefcase.
Breaking It Down
My natural hair color is blonde (okay dirty blonde with red highlights) and in my 22 years of life I’ve never dyed it. Is it out of laziness? Yes. But my dad’s nickname for me is “blondie” and my close friends and family refer to me fondly as blonde. It’s a defining feature of mine and I decided that I was happy to associated with it for the foreseeable future.
Now you’re thinking a briefcase? I have read hundreds of career and social media articles so I like to think I have a “briefcase” full of knowledge. Also, as an early graduate I started having to deal with adulthood a good five months before my friends. Since I had to start doing things first I also felt I had a “briefcase” of failures and success that I could share with people.
So that’s how I decided on A Blonde & A Briefcase. I thought that giving you insight into how I decided to pick my blog name would help you pick yours and understand these tips.
Tips for Picking Your Blog Name
- Brainstorm adjectives & names: For a couple of weeks I wrote down words that came to mind that described me and my goals in life. Keep a list in your phone, computer or in your planner
- Talk to family and friends: Ask them to describe you and what comes to mind when they think of you. Add these to another category on your list that you’re keeping.
- Start putting together a name: Look at your list and come up with 3-5 names. Mix and match, or just pick one description.
- Choose something that has been unchanging: We all change as well grow up, but something may have been consistent about your for the past three or four. Don’t pick something just based on your current life situation, but rather something that will last. Yes you can rebrand (like I did) but it’s a lot of work and you can lose your audience. Try to think of something that can last. It’s not the end all be all, but it is important.
- Run it past friends, family and blog friends (if you have any): Ask them which one they like the most, and ask yourself if you would be identified by this by brands?
- Pick you name: Once you have you name, sit on it for a couple of days/weeks and then start your blog or rebrand! By sitting on it, you’re able to mull it over and see if you can’t brainstorm some great ideas to go with it!
How did you pick your name? What did you go through to get to it? I love hearing your stories so please don’t hold back!
P.S. I just started an email newsletter and would love if you would sign up! You can take a look at my side bar or sign up here! Thank you so much, I can’t wait to connect even more!